Monday, October 5, 2009

My Experiment Worked

I toyed with the idea for a few minutes and then cast it away, like all the others.

And then I awoke in the night and realized that--not even on my own volition--my idea was taking root without my conscious consent. A while back I would have freaked out. Now, I'm ok with the change. It feels natural.

My experiment worked. I awoke the other morning and approached the day with a different disposition. I felt good, for the first time in months--in years. My interactions with my family and co-workers seemed normal, more truthful. My wife was a little surprised, but she was easygoing after a while I think when she realized that my personification of a stronger character was just what I needed. I think she was worried about me for a while. I was worried about me.

Somehow, through the night, I was able to transform my personality into someone stronger, more worldly, and leap beyond suburban Wilmington, Delaware. And the greatest thing is that I didn't even have to get on a plane or wait on a security line. Just me, Sam Gregory, seeing the world through the eyes of someone else. Sulci, they called me. I felt alive, I felt invigorated, I felt ready to explore and conquer.

It worked. I can't wait to do it again. But I have to be cautious, as Jilm told me.

Lucy, I do remember you. What could you possibly have to tell me? Let me see how things work out on my end. We'll be in touch.

I hope tonight something exciting happens.

Sam.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, I see you've had some experiences already. I'm glad to see it happening with you smoothly. Most often when these occurences take place, the hosts, like yourself, aren't always as willing to let your characters take over. It can get ugly.

    I just wanted to let you know I'm on your side and I'll be watching to make sure you don't get yourself in trouble.

    Regards always,
    Jilm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilm, I'm so glad you took the time to find me. I've been out parachuting today with my corps buddies, so I've been out of pocket for a while. I've been thinking a lot about what's happening to me and I have to say, I'm pleased with how it's all turning out. Seamless adjustment with the family, and yet I get to go on missions with the corps and execute the strategies that the commander sets forth.

    I couldn't have done it without your help, really.

    I have one question, though: I've grown a little tired of the old Sam. I'm quite angry that he hasn't come along to play, and that he won't budge from his cubicle at the office to join in. How do I break him down?

    Yours truly,
    Sam, USMC

    ReplyDelete